The study guide to IS 029.A Public Information Officer Awareness. PIOs in public safety and emergency management organizations are responsible for ensuring that the affected public receives accurate and timely information during an emergency. Armed with good information, people can make better decisions that contribute to the overall response goal of saving lives and protecting property. Contains correct FEMA IS 29.A answers. You can also check out our FEMA IS 42 Answer Key, FEMA IS 700 Answer Key, and FEMA IS 706 Answer Key.
The Public Information Officer Awareness Course (IS0029) is designed to familiarize participants with the concepts underlying the PIO role. This course can provide a basic understanding of the PIO function for those new to the position. Additionally, it can provide those in executive level roles the necessary knowledge of PIO roles and responsibilities during an emergency.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define emergency public information and the importance of being proactive. (Unit 1)
- Describe the role and functions of the PIO. (Unit 2)
- Describe the types of written products used in public information activities. (Unit 3)
- Recall preparation techniques that contribute to a successful media interview. (Unit 3)
- List the steps of the 8-Step Model for Strategic Communications. (Unit 4)
- Given a scenario, apply the 8-Step Model to a public awareness campaign. (Unit 4)
- Apply public information techniques to a 5% scenario. (Unit 5)
This course is designed for new or less experienced state, local, tribal and territorial PIOs or those who have this role as a secondary function.
The participant will benefit from participating in entry-level incident command system training prior to taking this course.